Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Freiburg

Today we went on a tour of Freiburg (of the old inner city) and it started to snow!

The morning started with a little excitment, as I woke at 9.15, and thought that I could sleep until 9.30, before getting ready to leave for the tour, for which we had to meet in the city at 10.20. Having so decided, I was quite shocked to reawaken and discover it was already 10 o'clock. Apparently my ability to reset an alarm while half asleep needs some work - the time was set, but I hadn't answered the last question, so the fact that the specified time had passed was completely ignored...

Luckily, the lady I am staying with has a brilliant apartment that is literally a minute from the main train station, and just outside of the inner city, so I scrambled to eat half a slice of heavy german bread, dress and drink a glass of milk, and was out the door in about 5 minutes, leaving 15 minutes to reach the Rathaus (townhall) from where our tour would start.

Typically, having decided yesterday that it would be best to wear my sneakers as we would be doing much walking, I got out the door to discover that it was snowing - though only lightly. My sneakers have lovely airy material toes, and are not designed to get snowed on... Luckily it was cold enough that the snow was not melting, and even now my feet are still reasonably dry.

But yes, walking fast though the light snow, I managed to make to the Rathausplatz exactly on 10.20, which turned out to be about 10 minutes before our progam leader and the tour guides arrived.

The tour is captured photographically in one of my new Facebook albums (the one appropriately titled).

Since I have now spent about 2 hours fighting the facebook photo program, it is dinner time, and I have run out of impetus to write any more.

I hope to write more tomorrow, but until I do, do look at the photos on Facebook!

(Those of you who don't have facebook accounts, I sent out email invites to let you see them. If I missed anyone let me know.)

No comments:

Post a Comment